Home School Links
Effective communication between home and school is fundamental to the full development and progress of the child. This must continue during the child’s care in our school. We are very fortunate in Castlegar to have the services of a HSCL teacher two days per week . Jason Byrne is our HSCL and can be contacted on
Role of the Home School Liaison Teacher:
The aim of the Home School Community Liaison (HSCL) is to promote partnership between home, school and the community and to ensure that every family participates fully in the school scheme. Castlegar NS recognises the role of parents as the primary educators of their children, the influence of the home environment and seeks to promote a partnership between school and parents and the local community.
- The HSCL teacher is available to discuss on a personal level, matters of concern with parents in their own homes or at school.
- Offer a welcoming face to parents.
- Visit parents in their home and listens, encourages, supports and offers suggestions on how parents can support their children.
- Offer free courses for parents.
- Offer one to one support to parents on how to get the best from their child’s learning. For example, how to teach letter sounds, Maths, Irish, etc.
Parents are most welcome in our school at other times should they wish to discuss matters relating to their child. While we stress that members of staff gladly make themselves available to meet you, please contact the school to arrange a convenient time as the school day is short and every day is precious.